Thursday, October 15, 2009

epiphany

I had to look up the correct spelling of "epiphany" just so you know. Even if I couldn't spell it, I had one.
If you have known me for long, you know that I'm not a very good homemaker. I adore my children and playing with them, but I H-A-T-E to clean and I am seriously envious of people with O.C.D. that have to have everything in its' place. I also didn't cook. When I look back on the first five years of our marriage, I'm not really sure what or how we ate. I honestly don't remember any consistency except that we both worked and Chad liked cooking more than I did, so he usually handled food. When William starting eating real food, things started to change. I had another person who needed to be fed. Slowly I started cooking. Then I started trying at least one new recipe a week. Then I realized that the only way we could afford for me to stay home was to stick to a budget. So I started meal planning and very carefully shopping. Then I started trying tons of new recipes. Then I started crockpotting like a mad man.
So today Chad called to say we have plans tonight and I don't need to worry about dinner.
No big deal, right?
Except that I just got home from buying Panko bread crumbs and I was going to make this Broccoli recipe as a side tonight. That was my epiphany...I was upset that I didn't GET to cook.
When did this happen?
When did I fall in love with cooking and baking?
Insanity!!
P.S. I made myself feel better by deciding that William and I will make pumpkin apple muffins this afternoon. He loves them and I sneak alot of healthy stuff in them. He is totally fooled into thinking he is eating dessert - so is his daddy for that matter.

3 comments:

Lora said...

That broccoli recipe looks good! I haven't done a lot of cooking over the last 9 months or so, but I was thinking today about how I'm looking forward to getting back into that routine (after things settle down of course!). You'll have to share any other yummy recipes you guys try!

Julia said...

Since I am staying home now, too, we have had to really cut back on eating out so I have started cooking more. I am trying to make a new recipe each week, also, but it is so hard to come up with something new and good each week. I am excited to check out the food network webpage!! I will have to try that broccoli recipe once Ellie and Gracelyn are older. I love broccoli!

Gail said...

ooh....can I have the recipe for the pumpkin apple muffins!??!

LANDRY BETH

William's Second Birthday

William's First Two Years in Order