I always thought it was weird when people said they could remember exactly what they were doing when something happened, until September 11. Eight years ago I woke up on a beautiful morning and rode my bike to my 8 o'clock class (shocking, I know). I remember a student in the back raising his hand and saying that something had happened to one of the twin towers. My prof just shrugged and we finished class. As I rode my bike home Chad pulled up in his truck and intercepted me. He threw my bike in the bed of his truck and told me to come with him. We went back to my house (we lived across the street from each other) and began watching the news with my roommates. I don't think any of us left that room for the rest of the day. The crowd at our house grew because we lived near campus and since parking at A&M is impossible, many people parked at our house and rode their bikes (that filled our back yard) to campus. As each person stopped by, they would sit down and start watching with us. I can't imagine that there were many students in class that day. I can't imagine what people in New York were thinking on that day. I can't imagine the fear for loved ones and the fear of those inside the towers. We were all a little freaked out and we were in College Station, TX. Anyways, while I think the "we will never forget" signs are a little hokey, it is true. We won't ever forget that day, the lives lost and the heroes made.
10 months ago







0 comments:
Post a Comment