Saturday, December 6, 2008

Every Parent's Worst Nightmare...

Okay, not worst nightmare, but pretty embarrassing. Today my mom, my sister, William, and I went to Hobby Lobby. First, let me say that I didn't want to bring William to the store, but his daddy was horribly busy playing Risk and couldn't be bothered and my poor dad needed a break. Secondly, I was exhausted and nauseous like I usually am as a pregnant toddler's mom. About two minutes into our trip to the store, William started making some interesting faces and talking about how his tummy hurt. I knew we were in trouble because I hadn't brought diapers. He eventually finished his "business" and then was crying because he was stuck with that mess in his diaper. My mom had the brilliant idea of just taking the diaper off and hoping he would make it until we got home (which he normally would do just fine with - he is totally ready to potty-train - I'm not). So we went with Nana's idea. This is where it gets bad, like you knew it would. We were at the front register when my mom gasped. Yep, William was not finished with his business and he was apparently not feeling well. My son POOPED in the front of Hobby Lobby at Christmas Time at the front register. It went down his pants, into his crocs, and streaked across the floor. I wanted to curl up on a clean spot on the floor and pretend that this was not happening, but I couldn't. I had to carry my poop covered child to the back of the store and stick him in the sink in the dirty bathroom and attempt to clean him up with nothing but coarse paper towels and water. Everyone in the bathroom was so nice and trying to help and comfort William who might have been as embarrassed as his mom. It was HORRIBLE. My poor mom was left to deal with the mess at the register. My sister managed to miss everything as she wandered through the store looking for us. In the end I took off Chad's giant fleece that I had thrown on as we left the house and wrapped my naked, kinda' clean child up. I wrapped his clothes and shoes in paper towels and made a run for the car. My mom went next door to CVS and bought diapers so we wouldn't have to deal with this in the carseat. By the time we got home William was feeling fine and ready for a midday bath. Chad took over while I cleaned up and laid down for a nap. Now that I have slept it off, it is a little funny, but I am still pretty horrified.

5 comments:

Lora said...

First of all, I am sorry that Mat started the whole Risk business! He laughed when I read that sentence out loud. Second, I'm sorry that the whole thing happened. I can't even imagine!

SheridanLeftwich said...

YUCKY! You poor thing. That sounds completely terrible. I bet Chad feels terrible. Good thing you had help with you. Gates barfed all over the floor at the check out of home depot one saturday. I grabbed him and ran.:)
I told the lady what happened and got the heck out of there. I felt really bad for who ever had to clean it up.

Mindi Tipps said...

Oh how horrible. I agree with you, it IS kind of funny. But I'm sure you didn't think so at the time!

Shannon said...

Oh my goodness. Was that the Hobby Lobby in Calallen? I was there today! Can't help but love poop stories. Allen pooped out his diaper one time and I didn't have an extra set of clothes or diapers either. Bad news. It happens.

Gail said...

OH...Haley I am so sorry...but I have to be honest...I just sat here laughing - one in sympothy and two...well it is one of those stories you will look back on in laugh at.

I hope you are doing well - minus the sickness thing...but look how healthy and great Will turned out and you were sick with him - so being sick brings you great kids!!!

LANDRY BETH

William's Second Birthday

William's First Two Years in Order