Thursday, April 24, 2008

Fiesta Coronation

Last night I went to the Coronation of the Queen of the Order of the Alamo. This is a big deal in my family because my grandmother makes these dresses. In years past she has done tons of dresses at one time, but this year she chose to only do one. She made the queen's dress (seen above). It was beautiful. As much as this has been a part of our family, I have never actually sat down and watched a coronation from beginning to end. It was amazing and the dresses were gorgeous. I have a hard time explaining what this event is, so I found a description online and added it to the bottom of the post. I had to snag this picture online of the dress that grandma made. I'll post more pictures when I get them from my aunt (I forgot my camera).


The Order of the Alamo
April 23, 8-10 p.m., Municipal Auditorium, 100 Auditorium Circle
An evening of beauty and fantasy awaits those who attend the Coronation of the Queen of The Order of the Alamo, one of the central features of Fiesta San Antonio. A symphony orchestra conducted by Roger Melone performs the accompaniment as visiting and in-town Duchesses make their full-court bows at the “Court of Palatial Magnificence,” followed by the presentation of Her Royal Highness and the Princess and the Coronation of Her Gracious Majesty, the Queen.
All wear elaborate dresses and trains spangled with glittering beads, crystals and jewels. After the court is seated within the magnificent stage setting, musicians and others entertain the royalty and the audience.
Founded by San Antonio businessmen and community leaders in 1909, The Order of the Alamo celebrates Texas’ heroic struggle for independence from Mexico. The group chose its first Queen that year and staged her coronation at the Old Beethoven Hall. The Coronation of the Queen now takes place in the grand Municipal Auditorium. Thought by many to be one of the most magnificent and unusual events of its kind in the country, the Coronation is an unforgettable evening for the whole family.

1 comments:

Melanie "Meme" Burris said...

Ah forgot about this fun fact!! I remember we went up to SA and stayed at your Grandparents house and swam in the pool, went shopping and even went to Dicks on the Riverwalk! Oh, that was right before college for us!

That dress is awesome!

LANDRY BETH

William's Second Birthday

William's First Two Years in Order