Tuesday, February 19, 2008

phthalates

Okay, I am not really sure what phthalates are, but they(experts) are thinking that they aren't so great for us - especially babies. It has been in the news alot lately and even made it into the Kerrville paper. I have heard of them before, because they are in some plastics and I try not to buy those kinds of sippy cups. You aren't supposed to microwave or heat foods in plastic because of phthalates. So the latest news has been that babies have relatively high levels of phthalates in their urine samples and they think it is from the soap that parents are using to wash them. The article said to stop bathing babies with soap. These people have obviously never met a toddler or watched one eat. I tried to do some research, but it is not a labeled ingredient so it was hard to tell what was safe and what wasn't. Being the neurotic mom that I am, I contacted some of the soap companies that I thought might have safe products (you know, the all natural expensive ones). A few of them were nice enough to email me back so I thought I would share. Even if you don't have a baby, it is probably good to avoid as many chemicals as possible.
Safe Soaps and Cosmetics:
Arbonne (which I just happen to sell)
California Baby
*Earth's Best
*Jason
*Avalon
The three products with stars come from Hain-Celestial, they have other brands and all of them are safe.

Sorry about the boring email, but after going to all that trouble I had to share what I learned.

2 comments:

Melanie "Meme" Burris said...

I just want you to know your going to be my baby guru!

Cara said...

I do not read the paper and I hardly watch the news so I am glad I have to you to inform me of these things!!!

LANDRY BETH

William's Second Birthday

William's First Two Years in Order