Wednesday, February 17, 2010

teachable toots

I have so much catching up to do that I don't know where to begin. That means that this post will surely be random.
Last weekend the kiddos went to Corpus to stay with my parents for the weekend while Chad and I escaped to San Antonio for two nights. It was great! Both kids did well. Landry will drink breastmilk or formula, so I was able to be away from her much earlier than I was able to leave William (he wouldn't drink anything from a bottle or sippy cup until well after 1yr old). While we were away it was so nice to sleep through the night. Have I mentioned on here that Landry still wakes up at least once a night to eat? No fun. Neither of us brought a camera nor did I send one to Corpus, so you will just have to imagine my precious kids playing with my parents and Chad and I hanging out in San Antonio.
Here is a pic of William from the day we took them to see the river and snap some shots for Landry's seven month old post. This doesn't really fit in with anything else, but I like this picture.
Random story number one... At the super bowl party we went to, a friend was telling me that their son had fallen out of his crib because they had just started thinking about lowering the mattress, but hadn't decided to do it. I had been telling Chad that he needed to lower the mattress for about a week. When I relayed the story about our friend's son, Chad finally got the tools and lowered Landry's crib mattress. She stood up the next morning. Had she done this one day earlier, she would have tumbled out. Talk about good timing. Thanks Shelby for sharing your experience! This is now Landry's new trick. If she has something sturdy to grab on to, she will stand up. Not bad for 7mo. She was mad at me in this picture. I don't know why. I just left her there crying while I went to get the camera. She should be used to that scenario by now ;-)

Have I mentioned that this child can eat? Tonight was a new record. She ate ham and pineapple baby food, pieces of our salsa chicken, banana pieces, guacamole (I made it so I knew what was in there), tortilla pieces with queso, and apple sauce. (Please excuse her boy bib, I love these old bibs of William's). She was still hungry after that so Chad shared his berry puree frozen thingy. She loved it but kept getting brain freezes and squinting her eyes in between bites.

Now for our final random story...When I taught school, we were all about teachable moments. My co-teacher Gail and I would always try to jump on anything the kids were really into and play off of that for our regular lessons or stray from our plans to capitalize on their immediate interests. Gail was way better at it than me, but we both loved letting the kids lead. I really try to do this with William. Right now he is into spelling. He is constantly say things like, "Momma, what does h-w-c-k-j-o spell?" He will also randomly ask me to write words or spell things with magnets. That is how we end up with words like toot (we can't find the lower case t), poo, hiney, and booger on our fridge and magnadoodle. Whatever works!

0 comments:

LANDRY BETH

William's Second Birthday

William's First Two Years in Order