Monday, December 29, 2008

start 'em young

There are some things that we think it is important to start teaching William at a young age... he knows about God and Jesus, he knows he is an Aggie, he knows how to hold a bat (golf club is next), and now he knows a little bit about skiing. I did not start skiing young and I have never been at home on the slopes. Chad is far more comfortable than I am and I really want our kids to be the same way. While we were in P.A. we took the opportunity to go to Blue Mountain. Chad, his Dad, and his future step-brother-in-law Cole hit the slopes early in the morning. Around 11:00 Elissa (Chad's step sister) and I brought William out to meet them. As we paid for skis and boots for William we were very aware that we might be throwing this money away, but we had to try.
William loved it from the second he hit the snow. He cracked up every time he fell. He listened to Chad and his Paw Paw. He rode the conveyor belt lift and a chair lift. He was definitely the smallest kid out there, but he held his own and got better and better balance as he went along.
About half way down his last run, he decided he was tired. He took off the skis and came down to play in the snow a little bit.
Chad and his Dad took this opportunity to do a few more blacks (a little beyond William's level) while I took William to the lodge. When we got inside he told me that he needed a diet coke and a snack. One Sprite and a few pecans later he crashed.
When he woke up in the car and realized we were leaving, he started saying, "No! More ski, more ski!" He later asked if we could ski in Kerrville. I think he may be out of luck on that one, but we hope that the seed has been planted and he will love skiing (and eventually snowboarding) forever.

3 comments:

Gail said...

I loved the skiing pictures. It looked like he was doing a great job out there!

It sounds like everyone had fun up there - after all illnesses passed.

Belayed Merry Christmas and an early Happy New Year!

love,
Kegan and Gail :)

Lora said...

I'm impressed! It looks like you guys had fun.

Kelly said...

How adorable! Why not start?...Maybe he will become pro by the age of five and he can pay for an all-inclusive trip to Hawaii for his parents and important friends (or just one friend in particular) :o)

But seriously...I want a Christmas card.

LANDRY BETH

William's Second Birthday

William's First Two Years in Order