Tuesday, May 13, 2008

scarred and starved

Two stories:
Yesterday William was scarred for life. I took him to a pet store just for fun and to see if there were any fish that we needed to add to our tank. The first thing we saw as we walked in was a ferret running free. We checked out the birds and bunnies. William was walking a little ahead of me toward the back of the store when I heard him yelp and start to cry. I could tell by his cry that he was startled, but not hurt so I ran to pick him up. As I neared him a huge macaw reached out and nipped my foot. Apparently we had both startled the poor bird that was hiding behind a cabinet. The rest of our time at the store was spent with William clinging to my neck and whimpering, "big bird bite" in my ear. He jumped every time anything else in the store moved until I finally gave up and left.
Today we went to the grocery store and I bought one of those already cooked rotisserie chickens. When we got home, I put all the groceries away and then began to take all the meat off of the chicken because Chad doesn't like the carcass in our fridge (this is the first time I have actually filled Chad's odd request). As I peeled the chicken, William ate it. I kid you not, he was eating the chicken as fast as I could get it off the bone. Finally I realized that is was 2:00 and I had not fed the poor child lunch. He was starving. Just call me mom of the year.

5 comments:

Cara said...

Brian makes me do the same thing! Weird!!!

SheridanLeftwich said...

Ok so I too like the idea of deboning the chicken before you put it in the frig.There are several reasons why for me....

takes up less space (with a family of six you have be careful with space).......

It is much easier to take off the bone when it is till warm......

Plus the work is already done when you get ready to use it......

I like to use it in casseroles like poppy seed chicken (YUMMY).....

Depending on what day of the week it is..I would much rather put the carcus in the trash when it is almost trash day than not.....

So there you have it....all the reasons I like to take the meat off the bone before refrigeration.

I had to laugh when thinking of that big scary bird biting story because he would probably really be sad if he knew that when he got home he ate one. Just a little irony.

Mindi Tipps said...

Big Bird Bite- that's so cute, and sad! I"m sure he won't even remember it later on! =) And I have to agree with Chad on the carcass thing-sorry!

Haley said...

I will admit that it makes total sense to take the chicken off the bone, but usually when I get home from the grocery store that is the last thing that I want to do. If anything, we have eaten it alot faster this way.

Cass said...

I totally understand the bird scare. A blue jay attacked me when I was little - going after the blonde hair - I guess for a nest or something. It is very scarring - I'm terrified of them now. Tell William I understand.

LANDRY BETH

William's Second Birthday

William's First Two Years in Order